The Council for Economic Education (CEE) recognizes excellence in economic and financial education by honoring three national educators in the elementary, middle and high school levels with The John Morton Excellence in the Teaching of Economics Awards. This award promotes economic education at the K–12 level by recognizing and honoring inspirational teachers whose innovative teaching concepts improve and stimulate economic understanding in and out of their classrooms and achieve results. The awards program is open to all K–12 teachers that are members of the CEE Educator Community. Any K–12 classroom teacher may use a self-nomination process or one may be nominated by other teachers, department chairs, principals, superintendents and CEE state affiliates.
Awards will be given in three teaching categories:
Elementary (Grades K–4)
Middle/Junior High (Grades 5–8)
High School (Grades 9–12)
AWARDEES WILL RECEIVE:
• A cash award of $500 each in each category
• All-expense paid trip to attend the 53rd Annual Financial Literacy and Economic Education Conference in Dallas, October 2014
• Recognition at the CEE’s annual conference Awards luncheon and dinner
• Recognition on CEE website, digital assets, communications and in CEE's Teaching Opportunity November newsletter
• The opportunity to share best practices with their teaching colleagues by co-facilitating a session at the CEE annual conference in Dallas
• Applicants must be current K-12 teachers from public, private or parochial schools.
• This award is open to teachers of all subjects, not just teachers of economics. Applicants must demonstrate how they integrate economics into their teaching.
• Must have taught in the classroom during the 2013-2014 school year.
• Past winning teachers are not eligible to apply.
• All entries and accompanying materials become the property of the Council for Economic Education and may be disseminated to educators throughout the country. Entrants must submit a written request to the CEE for permission to use the materials for publication and/or other professional or commercial purposes.
• The award results shall be determined on an objective and non-discriminatory basis. In furtherance of the foregoing, members of CEE, employees and directors of CEE and members of the immediate families (i.e., parent, child, sibling or spouse of any applicant or those living in the same household as any of the foregoing) of members, employees and directors of CEE shall not be eligible to participate. Additionally, CEE employs a non-discrimination policy in all of its activities and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability or sexual orientation in determining the award winner.
The review committee will look for applicants that:
• exhibit innovative approaches to economic and financial education using multiple teaching approaches;
• inspire their students to make an economic way of thinking a mainstay in their personal and academic lives;
• demonstrate student achievement (examples could include performance assessments, pre- and post-test results, student portfolios, videos, or any other assessment instrument or technique)
• challenge and encourage students to use economics and financial literacy as a mechanism for acquiring the skills necessary to succeed in their education and their future careers;
• validate projects, lessons, and opportunities designed to push kids to go beyond the textbook creating student participation with assessments of their learning;
• reflect a commitment to economic education that extends beyond the classroom;
• encourage a collaborative environment where students are encouraged to take charge of their learning, create an atmosphere of inquiry, use different lenses to a problem and inspire an economic curiosity to see how their learning is tied to the real world;
• must have been used in the teacher’s class within the last three years;
• If non-original resources are included, appropriate credit must be listed.
DEADLINE AND REQUIREMENTS
The entries must be submitted electronically by Tuesday, July 15, 2014.
Awardees will be notified by August 15, 2014. Following awardee notification, their schools will be notified, names and pictures will appear on CEE website and press releases will be sent out to the media.